Monday, May 24, 2010

Disappointed

Worst fears confirmed. We did not get accepted into the shared risk program. Options now:
  1. Continue with the IVF program and just do one round. I feel that if we do that, we can say that we have "tried it all". It will, however, be a very large investment with no guarantees. 
  2. Go a different direction with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). We have some friends who had success with this, but they lived in Florida and I don't know who in North Alabama we could go to for it.
  3. Try on our own. Who knows? 
  4. Start the adoption process.
Ok, girls. You were all SO helpful with the drug information, etc that I asked for...so, here's your new task.
  1. We are currently at ART at Brookwood. They rejected me because of 2 high FSH levels (I thought it was one, but it was two). Do you know of anywhere else in Birmingham that does not have as strict of a policy in regards to IVF shared risk programs?
  2. Does anyone know of anyone in the Birmingham area that does TCM? I know Martha Ivey does acupuncture for some of the ART IVF patients, but I don't know if she does all the herbs, etc. 
I'm feeling a little better right now. I guess because I'm stepping back and realizing that this is not the end of the world. But, bless the heart of the little six year old I had when I received the news. That little girl was so tenderhearted towards me as I sat there and cried in front of her. She needs triple stickers next time :)

10 comments:

  1. Awe, I'm so sorry. I don't have any good information for you in your area but I will pray for you guys. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about the shared risk program. Boo ART!
    Talk to Samantha Ebert, she sees Martha Ivey and did the herbs as well. Martha spoke to our Resolve group once, and from what I remember her services range about $60 a visit, plus the herbs are about the same amount, but like I said Samantha would be the best person to talk about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to a university-system RE practice, and they do not have a shared-risk program because ethically there is a debate about how, well, ethical those programs are. Just as you describe, people with high FSH (who would benefit MOST from the shared risk/refund programs) are not accepted because they are too much risk, and meanwhile people who have a higher chance of succeeding on the first try are the ones accepted into the program, and they end up paying a WAY higher amount for (hypothetically) one successful IVF cycle than if they hadn't done the shared risk program.

    So anyway, after understanding how those programs work, I am kind of turned off by them. It's sort of scam-like, and especially since I'd probably be the one left out when I could benefit most, I don't appreciate how they are set up.

    We have tried numbers one and two of your first list. I did enjoy acupuncture- but I'm not sure how much it really affected the cycle itself- it was more like just a relaxing treat for me. Now we do feel like we have tried everything, and we are at number three of your list, leaving it ALL in God's capable and merciful and powerful hands. We hope He will use us as a testimony that He can create life in the most unexpected circumstances- without meds or ART or any of the things we have tried recently.

    I know is a scary place to be, and I am thankful for my hubby's faithful guidance along this journey. I know you will prayerfully consider what God is calling you to do. I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, you know how much Kaileigh loves you. If you had to have a patient when you got that call, I am glad it was her! She is so, so tenderhearted.

    Now, you know that that precious 6 year old was adopted, right? :)

    Sometimes when God closes doors, He has a plan, it is just not the time yet. I know that you are seeking Him. I know that I was impatient. God kept telling me to wait. So as every door closed, I had decided to be a mom of one - just Hunter - and be done with it. God had other plans for me - but first, I had to learn patience.

    I did not plan to adopt a special needs child, particularly one with medical needs as well as behavioral needs and learning disabilities. But I cannot imagine my life without her.

    I am not presuming to know God's plan for your life and your path is very different from mine.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel... I have been following your journey. I know that you may not understand the path you are supposed to follow at this time, but it will present itself when the time is right. Please know that I pray for you daily... Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. ART is the only program in Birmingham with a Shared Risk plan. And like Rachel already said above Martha Ivey also does the herbs in addition to accupuncture. I would have done it this cycle, but them money is just getting to be too much.

    Have you looked into Shady Grove fertility center? They have one of the best shared risk programs in the country. Downside is they're near DC, but I think they work a lot with out of town patients and they would coordinate with your local doctor. You get six cycles of IVF with the guarantee of a live baby, or you get 100% of your money back. It's $20,000, which sounds like a lot, but we've already surpassed that number and we're on try #2 (and last).

    www.brandysheaif.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no:( I'm so sorry. I know that Atlanta has a good practice that has a good shared risk program...not sure if it's the same shared risk company you went through. Did you apply to Attain/Integramed? I went through that program, except in Charleston...which is about 2.5 hrs away from me. I have to drive to some appointments, but luckily they let me use the local RE as a "satellite office". I know it's a pain in the arse to have an RE that's out of town, but there weren't any good clinics that offered shared risk where I live.

    I really hope your heart leads you to a decision soon. I'm sorry about the bad news. Keep your chin up:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a friend do the herbs, organic food and Acupuncture and they got pregnant on the 2nd IVF. I am now seeing Dr. Sher in Las Vegas by phone. But I qualify for the micro IVF that is 5k. You have to be under the age of 36. But I did not qualify for shared risk with Dr. Honea because I had so many miscarriages. It might be worth a phone consult with Dr. Sher. I am glad I waited. We have an appointment in January. If this doesn't work then we are moving on to adoption. There is a great agency in Florida. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about the disappointment! I hadn't heard about shared-risk, interesting. Hoping & praying with you for direction and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such an amazing way of looking at the positive side of things. You really inspire me.

    And thanks for your support this week - I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete