Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Home Study Visit

We survived the visit! She arrived about 15 minutes early on Monday and I took her on the "tour" of our house. Thankfully, we installed smoke detectors in all the bedrooms,added 2 carbon monoxide detectors, and another fire extinguisher to the house. She wanted to see it all. She also wanted to know which bedroom would be the nursery. That was kind of strange to me. I guess because I've always kept my heart guarded about where a baby would actually "go" in my house. 
We then sat down with her and endured about an hour of questions. Some sample questions: 
  • Where did you go on your honeymoon and how long did you stay?
  • How many attendants did you have at your wedding and what was it like?
  • What does a fight look like at your house? 
  • How often do you pray together?
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses as a husband/wife?
Those are just a few. After she left, I felt so relieved that it was over. Then we had to work on our autobiographies before we can meet her (separately) for the next visit. I finished mine and it was five pages. Whew!
I guess one great thing about having your home inspected is that at least your house is spotless for a while. I was so concerned about cat hair that I actually put beach towels on the tops of the sofas so they couldn't shed on them. That way I could take the towels off before she got there and ta-da! Spotless sofa! But you know what happened as soon as I put the towels on...
Of course! They got right on top of the towels! Monday was also my husband's birthday. We celebrated on Sunday with his parents and brother (whose birthday is three years and 364 days before his). Here are the birthday boys..
Monday night we ate down at the river with my mom who made him his second birthday cake. Here he is about to dig in...
We had a relaxing evening. (sorry about the picture quality...taken with the phone). 


I'm so glad to be moving along in the process. While on vacation, I read several great books (which I will talk about in later posts). Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & ChurchesOne of them was Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & Churches 


It was fantastic and I would highly recommend it for anyone who is considering adoption or knows anyone considering adoption. It makes a lot of comparisons between adoption and our adoption as Christians. It is a must-read!


Have a great evening!

5 comments:

  1. So glad everything went well! I am also so glad you have gotten a chance to read Adopted for Life. I absolutely loved it when I read through it (very quickly) and am now reading it much slower with my husband and discussing it each night, since Monday.

    Let me know if you have any questions about any of your up coming meetings.
    (terrell.elizabeth@gmail.com)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your husband!!

    Wonder why they asked some of those questions - like about your honeymoon and how many attendants you had... seems strange. If you can explain it in a future post, I'd love to know!

    And thanks for the book recommendation. I'm eager to get it now! We're not yet at the adoption point but regardless I'd love to have adoption be part of our family building and it may get my husband more in that mind-frame since he's the one who isn't ready right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited that you are embarking in this beautiful journey. You will be the most amazing mother! Know that I will be praying for your forever miracle. Keep us posted and thank you for the recommendation of the book :)

    And happy birthday to hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray this process is a fast one for you two. You guys seem like such a sweet and loving couple that any child would be lucky to have you as parents!

    ReplyDelete