Excuse me while I get up on my soapbox for a moment.....here it goes. If I ate a Guthrie's box for every meal and got super fat: my insurance would cover for me to have bariatric surgery. If I smoked a carton a day and got lung cancer: my insurance would cover all my treatments. They would even pay for a wig when I lost my hair. But today, I have a medical diagnosis of hyperprolactinemia and infertility - neither of which I caused - and they will not pay one dime of my medicine. Not a dime. Broken, broken, broken system. Next soapbox - if this IVF process does not work and we pursue adoption: we will go through classes, questions, and visits to hopefully receive a child. Did the 16 year old that got knocked up last night go to classes, answer questions, or have home visits? No. Not fair, not fair, not fair.
Ok, I'm finished with my tantrum. The notepad my friend Meredith's mom gave me the other day is so true:
(if you can't see it, it says "Of course I have emotional baggage, but at least it's cute and it matches!) I need to stop wallowing, but my appointment today was very emotionally draining.
Good news: we are on track and everyone was really nice and Dr. Long answered our questions. And I was able to not cry until we got to the car.
Bad news: we may not qualify for the shared risk program because of ONE slightly high FSH level back in January (which by the way was rechecked a week later and was fine). I don't know when we will find out. Also, I have to do birth control for 21 more days after my cycle starts. aaahhhh! Come on, already! And of course my lovely insurance does not cover meds so I've been doing some research. Did you know that the cheapest price for Menopur 75 that I've found in the states is $66 a vial and that in the UK it is $37.75?? If anyone has any suggestions on which pharmacy I need to use, please leave it in the comments or email me :)
Ok, sorry for the ranting post. Please pray for our acceptance into shared risk. I had such a peace about IVF going into this appointment and now I feel like I'm in a tailspin. I know this post looks weird in contrast to yesterday, but I'm just being honest. I know God is in control of this situation. Please leave pharmacy info in the comments and have a good night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Ugh, so frustrating I know!!! I hope & pray you qualify for the shared risk program. Sorry I don't have any good advise on pharmacy info...I used free.dom pha.rmacy for my meds for IUI. I liked them but idk if they're better price-wise than the rest or anything.
ReplyDeletedon't be nervous. things are going to work out like they are supposed to. I have to keep saying that to myself daily. have faith and try, try, try to be positive. thinking about you.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry I don't have any pharmacy suggestions, I had to use Caremark. I can completely understand your rant, I think it's necessary from time to time. Hope everything goes well as you prep for this IVF cycle.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe all appreciate, respect and understand your honesty! F.reedom F.ertility I found had the cheapest stuff (this was over a year ago though) and a friend currently goes with A.scend S.pecialty for her IVF cycles. You can google both. He is in control, but He also wants our honest feelings and thoughts!
ReplyDeleteRachel, I am so bummed for you. Being on birth control has been the hardest part of this whole process for me. I tell myself though that the Lord can totally get me pregnant on birth control just as easily as He can get me pregnant with injectables and IUI's. He can make a virgin pregnant, He can make me pregnant on BC!!! And how cool of a miracle would that be!?!? I will be praying that you find out soon about the shared risk program...I actually don't know that much about the shared risk program. I have heard about it, but don't actually know what it is...
ReplyDeleteMy clinic used Vil.lage pharmacy and As.cend Pharmacy...I think they're pretty comparable in prices. I haven't found any pharmacy that offers cheap meds. However, a friend of mine is using fertility lifelines compassionate care program...not sure if you've heard of them. If you qualify you can get one round of IVF meds for free. They do look at your income and what you've spent on treatments out of pocket already...but they are there to help peeps who have no infertility coverage. Their number is 1-866-LETS TRY. I hope this helps! I sure would call if I was doing another IVF cycle!
ReplyDeleteAs for the shared risk, that's what I used. They are very nice people so I hope that they will approve you. Good luck.
You are right - it is so not fair!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd you are allowed to have a tantrum now & then.
I sometimes look at Kaileigh's (14 year old at time of conception) birth mom & think - how on earth is it that you could get (and stay) pregnant & I could not??? But then I remember that *I* am the one who gets to spend every day with my precious K.
No pharmacy suggestions, but just know that I love ya!!!! And I am praying every day!!!!!
Amen! Your tantrum is welcome and most definitely justified. I think paid about 66 for my menopur so I can't help there. Sorry. Keep your head up hon.
ReplyDeleteBring on the rant!
ReplyDeleteNow that you've gotten that off your chest, take a deep breath and look forward to great success!!! Praying that you get into the study and fingers crossed for all things positive coming you way :)
Thank you, actually, for your soapbox and rant. We all know it and feel it so let it out. It does feel good to let out. And hear again. It is so UNFAIR.
ReplyDeleteHoping for the best for you and a better evening ahead. (((hugs)))
I totally hear you on the insurance rant. It ticks me off! Meds are crazy expensive. We were lucky to get most of our meds donated, some by the clinic and some by a friend who had leftover, but we ordered some from www.ivfmeds.com, the UK pharmacy. They frown upon that, but the drugs are the exact same, from the same manufacturer! They're so much cheaper in the UK because of price caps that the government sets on drugs. We ordered on a Thursday and got the drugs on a Tuesday (with expedited shipping).
ReplyDeleteAnd as for the Shared Risk, I originally qualified for it, but was kicked out because they only retrieved three eggs. Which I think is total crap. If you're in the program, they shouldn't be able to kick you out. Isn't that part of their risk? It seems like the risk is all on the part of the patient.
www.brandysheaif.blogspot.com
I feel ya. Infertility is so financially draining. Fortunately my drugs were covered by my insurance. I have a friend that went to Washington last year to fight for better insurance for Alabama for infertility.
ReplyDeleteI do know of some girls that dont need some of their drugs if you are interested. I belong to a support group and we share if we have too much. If you want me to ask I will do it. Just let me know. Amy Waters
If this is your 1st IVF then email me and I know how you can get your stim meds for free!!! Yes...but only if its your 1st IVF.
ReplyDeleteIf its not your 1st IVF, then Schrafts is pretty cheap. I also know how you can get them across seas for about 1/2 the price (that's what I did with my successful IVF...before I found out about the free program for 1st time IVF'ers.
Email me if your interested and I'll find all the paperwork and contact info.
kaceypierson@yahoo.com
I love your rant- I go on that tangent sometimes!!! Will be praying you can find the meds for less and that you get accepted into the shared risk program!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, girls!! Thank you for your outpouring of support and fantastic advice (all the names, links, and phone numbers...wow!!) Ya'll are the BEST!
ReplyDelete