Thursday, July 29, 2010

When Words Fail, Tears Flow

I know it's been a while since I blogged (I've got to get back on the wagon!). I've really been struggling lately with feelings of hopelessness. I'm a week away from my 31st birthday. I started my period a few days ago. While laying in bed Monday night, It all just came on me like a ton of bricks. Then the tears started. 
I picked up a little book at an estate sale my Mom did a while back. It's a book called "For Those Who Hurt" by Charles Swindoll. On the inside is an inscription to the original owner in November of 1995. It made me wonder what was going on in this woman's life during that time. I've been reading it this week and one of the chapters called "Some Thoughts on Tears" made me reconsider the tears I've shed this week. Here it is...


"When words fail, tears flow. Tears have a language all their own, a tongue that needs no interpreter. In some mysterious way, our complex inner-communication system knows when to admit its verbal limitations.... and the tears come. 

Eyes that flashed and sparkled only moments before are flooded from a secret reservoir. We try in vain to restrain the flow, but even strong men falter. 

Tears are not self-conscious. They can spring upon us when we are speaking in public, or standing beside others who look to us for strength. Most often they appear when our soul is overwhelmed with feelings that words cannot describe. 

Our tears may flow during the singing of a great, majestic hymn, or when we are alone, lost in some vivid memory or wrestling in prayer. 

Did you know that God takes special notice of those tears of yours?

Psalm 56:8 tells us that He puts that in His bottle and enters them into the record He keeps on our lives. 

David said, "The Lord has heard the voice of my weeping."

A teardrop on Earth summons the King of Heaven. Rather than being ashamed or disappointed, the Lord takes  note of our inner friction when hard times are oiled by tears. He turns these situations into moments of tenderness; He never forgets those crises in our lives where tears were shed. 

One of the great drawbacks of our cold, sophisticated society is its reluctance to showing tears. For some strange reason, men feel that tears are a sign of weakness...and many an adult feels it's immature. How silly! How unfortunate! The consequence is that we place a watchdog named "restraint" before our hears. This animal is trained to bark, snap and scare away any unexpected guest who seeks entrance. 

The ultimate result is a well-guarded, highly respectable, uninvolved heart surrounded by heavy bars of confinement. Such a structure resembles a prison more than a home where the tender Spirit of Christ resides. 

Jeremiah lived in no such dwelling. His transparent tent was so tender and sensitive he could not preach a sermon without the interruption of tears. "The weeping prophet" became his nickname and even though he didn't always have the words to describe his feeling, he was never at a loss to communicate his convictions. You could always count on Jeremiah to bury his head in his hands and sob aloud. 

Strange that this man was selected by God to be His personal spokesman at the most critical time in Israel's history. Seems like an unlikely choice-unless you value tears as much as God does. I wonder how many tear bottles in heaven are marked with his name. 

I wonder how many bear your initials. You'll never have many until you impound restraint and let a little tenderness run loose. You might lose a little of your polished respectability, but you'll have a lot more freedom. And a lost less pride." 


Thank you so much to my friends that allow me the freedom to cry in front of them. Thank you to my husband who bears it the most. I know that God has a plan for us. It's just really hard to stay eternally minded when the months keep going by. Please keep us in your prayers.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. Romans 8:26

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. Definitely thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I am amazed at what great books you find :) My favorite line is "A teardrop on Earth summons that King of Heaven." That is so beautiful and comforting to me. Hang in there- I'm praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this part of the book, it is so true! I will be praying for you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this...it spoke to my heart. I have always been so "strong" in public, and then fall apart as soon as I get to my car or home. I had never read Psalm 56:8, but what a powerful and comforting word that is. Thinking of you and praying for God's best and perfect will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been praying for your family faithfully as soon as I discovered your blog. Will continue to lift you up in prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel,

    I cried as I read your post, as it brings back raw emotions of an evening that I completely fell apart and wailed in my husbands arms. The emotions enveloped every ounce of my being and I could only utter the words "I am tired". So, with that said, I understand on many levels. Continue to let the tears fall as they may...

    Tears are God's HOLY WATER

    Be well sweet friend and know that we are all praying for this storm of life to pass and for sunshine to reign on you always.

    Many HUGS

    ReplyDelete